Sports radio consultant Rick Scott hosted a panel on sports talk with heavy hitters; ESPN’s Scott Masteller, Fox Sports Radio‘s Don Martin, CBS Radio‘s Bruce Gilbert and Fox Sports Radio talent Stephen A. Smith. Here are the consensus five keys to success for sports talkers.
Talent, Talent, Talent Talent is your life blood. It is what makes your station unique and creates all the original content you need for all the different platforms.
“A PD’s respect of talent is important to establishing trust.” – Stephen A. Smith
“Hire really good people that are smart, engaging and compelling and let them do their damn job. Get out of the way.” - Bruce Gilbert, CBS Radio
“PDs need to understand: number one, you need patience and number two, you need courage. Patience for PPM and courage to hire people you’re going to back. Quit over-programming talent after you teach them how ‘radio’ works.” -Don Martin, Fox Sports Radio
Play by Play Obtaining rights are key to driving CUME. If you can get the NFL, get it.
“Football is king!’ - Scott Masteller, ESPN
Credibility Some sports stations venture into guy talk, which is fine as long as you don.t miss a big sports story.
“You can’t just do this job, you gotta live it… I came out of the womb opinionated… I’m a personality you can reach out and touch. I say what I say, I believe what I say and I stand up and defend what I said. I’m approachable. I go to games and interact with the people. I was a beat writer for a decade – I’m known for breaking stories. Hate me or love me, as long as your listening, I don’t care.” – Stephen A Smith
Seize the Moment When something is given to you, ride that pony until it’s out of breath. You may be sick of Brett Favre talk, but your fans can’t get enough of it.
Event Programming These will drive ratings (Super Bowl, Lebron Press Conference, etc.), but you must have a plan to drive listening and capitalize on the additional CUME through recycling.
Weclome to the blog. Larry Gifford is a radio management consultant and talent coach. He is available for ongoing or project based consulting for U.S. and International radio groups, stations, and talent
- KFI shoving Limbaugh down the dial to make room for live, local. Big move. Big blow for Rush. From #1 contending station in LA to #crappy. 5 hours ago
- @clydetombaugh I was thinking the same thing. Time flies. Let's grab lunch again. 5 hours ago
- RT @theradiostuff: Deb and Larry are taking holiday photos today -- any suggestions for props? 8 hours ago
- Revelation: Listeners are people. RT @markramseymedia: fb.me/2ONuLHolc 8 hours ago
- Talk radio is a long, hard journey. RT @RadioTodayUS: Anthony Weiner Heading To New York Radio? rt.vg/dKL /via @RadioInsight 12 hours ago
Top Posts & Pages
- 77 Websites for Radio Hosts, Producers, Anchors and Reporters
- Kidd Kraddick's Last Selfless Acts
- Identifying Hit Stories
- Autopsy of a Cringe-Inducing Interview
- Luke Burbank's Lessons from 1,000 Podcasts
- Don't Just Build An Audience, Activate Your Community
- The Truth Can Hurt, Which is Why So Many People Avoid It
- Oprah, Rush and Howard Stern Have This. Do You?
- How Do You Say That Name?
- How to Handle Host's Controversial Comments