Sports radio consultant Rick Scott hosted a panel on sports talk with heavy hitters; ESPN’s Scott Masteller, Fox Sports Radio‘s Don Martin, CBS Radio‘s Bruce Gilbert and Fox Sports Radio talent Stephen A. Smith. Here are the consensus five keys to success for sports talkers.
Talent, Talent, Talent Talent is your life blood. It is what makes your station unique and creates all the original content you need for all the different platforms.
“A PD’s respect of talent is important to establishing trust.” – Stephen A. Smith
“Hire really good people that are smart, engaging and compelling and let them do their damn job. Get out of the way.” - Bruce Gilbert, CBS Radio
“PDs need to understand: number one, you need patience and number two, you need courage. Patience for PPM and courage to hire people you’re going to back. Quit over-programming talent after you teach them how ‘radio’ works.” -Don Martin, Fox Sports Radio
Play by Play Obtaining rights are key to driving CUME. If you can get the NFL, get it.
“Football is king!’ - Scott Masteller, ESPN
Credibility Some sports stations venture into guy talk, which is fine as long as you don.t miss a big sports story.
“You can’t just do this job, you gotta live it… I came out of the womb opinionated… I’m a personality you can reach out and touch. I say what I say, I believe what I say and I stand up and defend what I said. I’m approachable. I go to games and interact with the people. I was a beat writer for a decade – I’m known for breaking stories. Hate me or love me, as long as your listening, I don’t care.” – Stephen A Smith
Seize the Moment When something is given to you, ride that pony until it’s out of breath. You may be sick of Brett Favre talk, but your fans can’t get enough of it.
Event Programming These will drive ratings (Super Bowl, Lebron Press Conference, etc.), but you must have a plan to drive listening and capitalize on the additional CUME through recycling.
Weclome to the blog. Larry Gifford is a radio management consultant and talent coach. He is available for ongoing or project based consulting for U.S. and International radio groups, stations, and talent
- @himpster too kind. And it's free! Appreciate the RT. 3 hours ago
- RT @himpster: Larry's blog is one of the best things of 2013. Here's why. MT @Giffordtweet: 4 Keys to Topic Dev from Colin Cowherd http://t… 3 hours ago
- 4 Keys to Topic Development from Colin Cowherd wp.me/p19hrb-nP 3 hours ago
- BLOG: Why ideas are overrated and 4 keys to topic development. wp.me/p19hrb-nP 7 hours ago
- RT @theradiostuff: ICYMI - RS 29 --> goo.gl/VXzeoo Hosts are brands! Radio + Pearl Harbor. And what's cracking up Deb & Larry? 11 hours ago
Top Posts & Pages
- Ideas Are Overrated
- Covering Colin Cowherd
- You Are A Brand
- 77 Websites for Radio Hosts, Producers, Anchors and Reporters
- How to Handle Host's Controversial Comments
- The Man Who Broke the News About JFK
- Creating a "WOW! Factor" with Your Next Radio Event
- Who's Next? Dave Rothenberg
- Five Apps All Radio People Should Use
- Wanted: A Passionate Disruptor or a Computer Literate Promo Assistant