I googled “radio” this morning. Suddenly I feel sad for good ole’ radio. Here’s what I saw:
It turns out Radio doesn’t even own the radio brand anymore. Pandora. Sirius. XM. Free internet radio. I had to go to page 2 before the first radio station website showed up (KCRW which is non-commercial), Z100 showed up on page 3. This isn’t an accident. People looking for “radio” on Google – aren’t actually looking for radio. They’re looking for content. They want it on their computer or phone and they want it now. So, what are you doing to accommodate them? This is no longer about pounding your frequency 100x hour hoping listeners will remember to go where to find your product, this is about pushing your product to every possible platform you can so it just shows up whenever they want it and how every they want to consume it. One of my favorite quotes is “evolve or face extinction” and it has never been more true than it is today for radio.
Weclome to the blog. Larry Gifford is a radio management consultant and talent coach. He is available for ongoing or project based consulting for U.S. and International radio groups, stations, and talent
- RT @STAAtalent: This is a fabulous resource radio broadcasters. Props to @giffordtweet, @deb_slater radiostuffpodcast.com 35 minutes ago
- BLOG:ESPN's Colin Cowherd on the importance of building your brand beyond your radio show. wp.me/p19hrb-nz 6 hours ago
- #podcast Colin Cowherd on topic development, what a great producer does, and his peers Mike & Mike, DP, KO, Rush... goo.gl/VXzeoo 6 hours ago
- @RockMamola glad to hear it. Thanks for the feedback. Would be interested to hear what resonates the most. 14 hours ago
- That's not Mandela and neither is Morgan Freeman. dennisglasgow: now we know where the KTVU Graphics guy ended up. http://t.co/wteiO6r34V 14 hours ago
Top Posts & Pages
- You Are A Brand
- The Free Fall of Talk Radio
- 77 Websites for Radio Hosts, Producers, Anchors and Reporters
- How Do You Say That Name?
- Kidd Kraddick's Last Selfless Acts
- "Life is good" – A Radio Threat or Opportunity?
- Oprah, Rush and Howard Stern Have This. Do You?
- Sports Radio Chatter
- How to Handle Host's Controversial Comments