Every Moment Matters
Arbitron will tell you, in general, there are listeners coming and going from your radio station every minute. Listeners are dipping in and out of stations searching for a comfortable place to rest. This is either terrific or terrifying news if you are host, producer or programmer. It means you have opportunities to snag new listeners every minute. It also means if you are off topic, too sloppy or boring – you’re going lose some too.
Here’s the truth about these non-P1 listeners:
- These listeners do not know who you are.
- These listeners do not know your show.
- These listeners do not know what your station is all about.
- These listeners do not know your inside jokes.
- These listeners want to be included.
- These listeners want to like you.
- These listeners want you to be relatable.
- These listeners want you to be local.
In order to take full advantage of this opportunity, it’s important that you pay attention to all the details. Every moment counts. Are the hosts resetting who they are, what they’re doing and what station they are on often enough? Are bench mark segments being explained and sold to the listener as a benefit? Are you saying the web address, phone number, text, and twitter accounts slowly and clearly so new listeners can play along? Is your board operator paying attention, running a tight board and hitting all the correct audio? Are sound bites edited properly? Are producers carefully screening callers? Are hosts prepared for interviews? Are you playing the hits uniquely or are you covering the story the same way everyone else is? Are you providing social currency or are you wasting time? Are you letting new listeners play along or are your jokes and references too inside?
In a PPM world every moment, every word, every piece of audio, every phone call, every interview, everything you do – counts. Make sure everything you do on your station is best serving the fans in your city in that moment or the listeners will keep searching until they find the station that does.
Want more on PPM? Listen to this Larry Gifford Media podcast with Charlie Sislen from Research Director Inc. Charlie Sislen Interview Podcast
Welcome to Larry Gifford Media
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things To Make You Better Than Everyone Else
- Radio Co-Host Confession
- Six Tips for Co-Hosting a Radio Show or Podcast
- The Real Difference Between Colin Cowherd & Dan Patrick
- 4 Principles for Creating Memorable and Impactful Radio Show Content
- Six Pointers for Writing Radio Promos and Imaging
- Test Driving A New Sports Radio Show Prep Service
- Look Who’s Talking: Jim Cutler
- Five Apps All Radio People Should Use
- The Changing Tone of Sports Radio
- Christy Clark addressing reporters after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/U2osg55i3L 3 hours ago
- John Horgan addresses press after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/0esU5aXYKE 3 hours ago
- Green Party candidate Andrew Weaver, "we believe in finding solutions to problems" @CKNW https://t.co/OVyNxSI0dz 3 hours ago
- .@JJLye980 at the Andrew Weaver presser after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/grHzq0Udsj 3 hours ago
- .@keithbaldrey questioning Andrew Weaver after #BCdebate2017 @GlobalBC @CKNW https://t.co/Tv4L34z1fI 3 hours ago