Radiodays Europe 2015 – Day Three
Day three of Radiodays Europe in Milan, Italy kicked off with super insightful presentation by Dennis Clark, VP of Talent Development for iHeartMedia.
“These are the good ole’ days,” he started. Afterward I asked him for the Radio Stuff Podcast why he believes that. “Because if you’re good and you have an audience and listeners are connecting to you that is a product and they’ll follow you.” Clark referenced Howard Stern’s successful move to SiriusXM and Chris Evan’s jumps from BBC Radio 1 to Virgin Radio to Radio 2.
On stage, Clark offered a road map to building a successful radio show.
He talked about the importance of defining roles and shared the initial roles outlined for Ryan Seacrest’s Show in 2005. He suggests revisiting personality profiles two times a year because life changes and you need to be able to reflect those changes on air. For instance, you might get engaged, divorced, lose a lot of weight, or your young child starts going to school.
Clark made it clear there can only be one captain on the show and that is the host. “Every time you open the mic you have a new listener. Like a good party only one person opens the door to welcome the new people to the party. (On radio) that is the host. Introducing the around. Make them feel included.”
It’s also important to Clark for shows to identify what they do as either “branding” or “humanity.” In the slide below, the bigger the cloud the more dominant of a role it plays on the show.
There were great presentations throughout. Even I got a chuckle from the big room on Tuesday when I reimagined opening lines of famous novels to make a point about the power of a declarative sentence vs. asking a question.
Here is a link to a blog written by Steve Martin (Just as funny and talented, but this one blogs) for Earshot Creative summarizing the “30 Ideas in 45 Minutes” session. Thanks to James Cridland for snapping the photo (really you should sign up for his newsletter: JamesCridland.net — you know it’s a smart piece because it ends in .net) and loads of appreciation to Nik Goodman for having me on his session. You can check out his fine company BOUNCE, right here.
Some of my takeaways…
You can’t innovate without action.
To do social media well you need to invest in people and technology. And you need to do social well. (Sidebar: Snapchat is where it is at right now. Though that trend could vanish in the next six seconds.)
Your enemies and your flaws aren’t terrifying and gruesome. Think of them as future partners and your true distinctive features. Embrace them both.
Visualizing radio is unneccessary and getting less clunky and more exciting to do and do well. Make sure it enhances the on-air content and the show brand.
The convention concluded with the announcement that Radiodays Europe 2016 will be held in Paris, France.
Loads more Radiodays Europe talk on Thursday in this week’s Radio Stuff Podcast. Subscribe to the Larry Gifford Media “Radio Stuff” email and each Tuesday you’ll receive an email with all sorts of stuff about radio. Sign up here.
Welcome to Larry Gifford Media
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things To Make You Better Than Everyone Else
- The Real Difference Between Colin Cowherd & Dan Patrick
- Radio Co-Host Confession
- Six Pointers for Writing Radio Promos and Imaging
- 4 Principles for Creating Memorable and Impactful Radio Show Content
- Six Tips for Co-Hosting a Radio Show or Podcast
- Look Who’s Talking: Jim Cutler
- Logo Confusion
- Eight Ingredients of Remarkable Radio Shows
- ESPN Had No Reason To Back Cowherd
- Christy Clark addressing reporters after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/U2osg55i3L 13 hours ago
- John Horgan addresses press after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/0esU5aXYKE 13 hours ago
- Green Party candidate Andrew Weaver, "we believe in finding solutions to problems" @CKNW https://t.co/OVyNxSI0dz 13 hours ago
- .@JJLye980 at the Andrew Weaver presser after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/grHzq0Udsj 13 hours ago
- .@keithbaldrey questioning Andrew Weaver after #BCdebate2017 @GlobalBC @CKNW https://t.co/Tv4L34z1fI 13 hours ago