Sports Talk of the Town
Sports radio consultant Rick Scott hosted a panel on sports talk with heavy hitters; ESPN’s Scott Masteller, Fox Sports Radio‘s Don Martin, CBS Radio‘s Bruce Gilbert and Fox Sports Radio talent Stephen A. Smith. Here are the consensus five keys to success for sports talkers.
Talent, Talent, Talent Talent is your life blood. It is what makes your station unique and creates all the original content you need for all the different platforms.
“A PD’s respect of talent is important to establishing trust.” – Stephen A. Smith
“Hire really good people that are smart, engaging and compelling and let them do their damn job. Get out of the way.” – Bruce Gilbert, CBS Radio
“PDs need to understand: number one, you need patience and number two, you need courage. Patience for PPM and courage to hire people you’re going to back. Quit over-programming talent after you teach them how ‘radio’ works.” -Don Martin, Fox Sports Radio
Play by Play Obtaining rights are key to driving CUME. If you can get the NFL, get it.
“Football is king!’ – Scott Masteller, ESPN
Credibility Some sports stations venture into guy talk, which is fine as long as you don.t miss a big sports story.
“You can’t just do this job, you gotta live it… I came out of the womb opinionated… I’m a personality you can reach out and touch. I say what I say, I believe what I say and I stand up and defend what I said. I’m approachable. I go to games and interact with the people. I was a beat writer for a decade – I’m known for breaking stories. Hate me or love me, as long as your listening, I don’t care.” – Stephen A Smith
Seize the Moment When something is given to you, ride that pony until it’s out of breath. You may be sick of Brett Favre talk, but your fans can’t get enough of it.
Event Programming These will drive ratings (Super Bowl, Lebron Press Conference, etc.), but you must have a plan to drive listening and capitalize on the additional CUME through recycling.
Welcome to Larry Gifford Media
Top Posts & Pages
- 10 Things To Make You Better Than Everyone Else
- The Real Difference Between Colin Cowherd & Dan Patrick
- Radio Co-Host Confession
- Six Pointers for Writing Radio Promos and Imaging
- 4 Principles for Creating Memorable and Impactful Radio Show Content
- Six Tips for Co-Hosting a Radio Show or Podcast
- Look Who’s Talking: Jim Cutler
- Logo Confusion
- Eight Ingredients of Remarkable Radio Shows
- ESPN Had No Reason To Back Cowherd
- Christy Clark addressing reporters after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/U2osg55i3L 13 hours ago
- John Horgan addresses press after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/0esU5aXYKE 13 hours ago
- Green Party candidate Andrew Weaver, "we believe in finding solutions to problems" @CKNW https://t.co/OVyNxSI0dz 13 hours ago
- .@JJLye980 at the Andrew Weaver presser after #BCdebate2017 @CKNW https://t.co/grHzq0Udsj 13 hours ago
- .@keithbaldrey questioning Andrew Weaver after #BCdebate2017 @GlobalBC @CKNW https://t.co/Tv4L34z1fI 13 hours ago